MY RANDOM THOUGHTS

A blog of my thoughts on the many things that i am experiencing at home and in my job...nice articles gathered from the web...my recipes...travels... and also the hopes and dreams of whatever I may think of and feel like writing about...confessing my inner thoughts, opinions, or whatever to the world wide web...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Talamban, Cebu, DOHA, Qatar

Married and was living with my wife and an only child in Cebu City before becoming an Overseas Worker in Qatar...I am again at a crossroad in my life... another stage is set in my professional career I have just move on to another job as an HR Manager and now my present job is being a Top Executive in a general contracting firm in the middle east...i'm an acoustic amateur guitar player on the side who loves reading almost anything that I could get my hands on...

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Easy Like Sunday Morning

Each Sunday MorningI look forward to the classified ads of the local newspaper of Cebu which is Sunstar Daily, it has been like this since I started my quest for a new Job since march of last year. There were Sundays when I could browse these ads while taking my coffee...sometimes there were available jobs openings with similar qualifications for my current position as an Manager and there were times that there were practically none…I would sometimes ponder and would like to believe that these days…seniority in terms of one's work experience in your present disposition in your job does not count that much not because of the lack of knowledge and content but rather due to the fact that the number of people entering the job market is on the verge of overwhelming the nature and type of job that you have...there's just too many people...so that the qualifications for a certain job are degraded to the point that quantity and not quality is what matters aside from the fact that people with experience would demand a higher compensation and at that point the cost of such a person counts as a factor...In the process it is possible As you age in your job you will have lesser chances of getting a dream job of your own choice...either you specialize in a certain field or you strive to become a generalist...I would still like to believe that there is a premium for seniority in work experience at that point...another observation that I have arrived at is with regards to the age requirement for the position of being a Manager... I have observed that the qualifications listed for such jobs is indeed getting younger…these days with a minimum experience of three years on the job…one could be immediately promoted to a managerial position….(one year as assistant and 2 years as supervisor)…but a few years back during my prime…one does not become a manager that easy…It was still a very difficult climb on the corporate ladder...you need to master a lot of key competencies before you could slowly make your way to the top of the food chain..so to speak...during my climb I had to spend 3 years as an assistant or associate and another 3 years as a supervisor plus another 3 years as an assistant manager…before I became a full Pledge manager… there was a time when as an assistant manager…we had a vacancy for the position of our department Manager…I was openly campaigning for that position but to no avail…We hired a manager from another company to fill in that position…I even asked my Japanese Manager why I was not considered? I believe then that I had the necessary qualities...I was young…aggressive…talented…intelligent…gung ho...I was a leader…why was I not considered? My Japanese boss told me…yes you had all the right qualifications for the job except that you are quite too young!!! He told me that to become a manager you need to have a deep understanding of a lot of things and you need that certain level of wisdom specially in making decisions…and this such wisdom comes of age and work experience...but then again maybe times are changing...the traditional way of becoming a manager has really outlived its ways and usefulness...the trend these days is really fast tracking...almost everything is being fast track... and people are promoted lacking qualifications but are expected to fill up the expectation as they go along their jobs...they are allowed more opportunities to take risks and chances in making mistakes...which may in turn be costly...some may not be able to rise up from the errors or lapses in judgement that they may make...but then again that maybe its just a perception of mine ...and I hope I maybe wrong...because experience is really one of the best teachers one can have...it is during these times that veterans like me do have the advantage because I am Easy, Easy like sunday mornings...and thats the way it should be...according to me of course...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

counter easy hit